Sermon Discussion Guide
What Is Your “One Thing”?
Ron Sukut- November 21, 2021
We all have “one thing” in our life which rivals all else. It’s the thing we long for most and for which we will jeopardize every other thing. In reality, our “One Thing” is what we love most. This primary love sets the value of all other things in our life and could be considered the Gold Standard for your life’s economy.
FIVE CHARACTERISTICS OF THE “ONE THING”
If your “one thing” is the “right thing,” the Lord will fulfill it.
If your ”One Thing” is the “right thing” the Lord will validate it.
If your “One Thing” is the “wrong thing” the Lord will expose it.
- It requires loss: 1 Tim. 6:17-19
If your “One Thing” is the “right thing” the Lord will exchange it.
If your “One Thing” is the “right thing” the Lord will be in it.
GETTING YOUR FIRST LOVE BACK INTO FIRST PLACE Rev. 2:4-7
- Remember your first love
- Repent of neglecting your first love
- Do the first works of your first love
- Enjoy the reward of your first love
Discussion questions for how to apply this lesson and these principles to our lives:
- What was one of the most thought-provoking points of this week’s message for you?
- Have you honestly identified your “One Thing”? Rev 2:1-4
- Are you sure that your One Thing is the Right Thing?
- How does David’s expression of his One Thing in Psalm 27 compare with your heart expression of your One Thing?
- Try putting anything else in the Lord’s place in the Psalm. How does exchanging the One Thing alter the reading, and more importantly, the life experience?
- Is Martha’s conflict with Mary in Luke 10:38-42 something that Jesus was OK with? Why?
- Do you believe Mary’s One Thing was the Right Thing in this instance? Why?
- What do we learn about the love of the Lord for people in His exchange with the rich ruler and Peter in Mark 10:17-31?
- Was Jesus going to the very heart of the matter loving?
- When your One Thing is tested in the days to come, like it was with the exiles in Daniel 3:14-18, will you pass the test? Is your Lord truly more precious to you than life itself?
- What will you do to keep The Lord in His rightful place as your Lord for the rest of your life? Rev. 2:4-7; Ephesians 3:14-21