What area of ministry would you like to serve?
Thank you for desiring to serve as a leader at Heritage. Along with leadership comes an increased level of authority, responsibility and accountability. Therefore, before you commit to leadership, we would like to clarify expectations and invite you to make a commitment to the Lord and to the body of Christ at Heritage Christian Fellowship.
This agreement is simply an affirmation and a source of accountability for both the church and our leaders. It contains both commitments and benefits. While we enter this agreement with one another, it is first and foremost a commitment to God for His glory and His bride, the church (Eph 5:25).
Please read this thoroughly so you understand all aspects. If you have any concerns or questions, please discuss them with your leader or elder before making a commitment, so that when you are ready, you can agree without reservation.
My commitment to Heritage Christian Fellowship is:
1. To read and understand the Heritage Christian Fellowship doctrinal statement (available online at www.heritagesc.org) and not be divisive to its teaching. Discuss any points of disagreement with an elder. One must understand the importance of submission to church leadership and be diligent to preserve unity and peace (Eph. 4:1-3; Heb. 13:7, 17).
2. To submit to the authority of Scripture as the final arbiter on all issues (Ps. 119; 2 Tim. 3:16-17).
3. To maintain a close relationship with the Lord Jesus through regular Bible reading, prayer, fellowship, and the practice of spiritual disciplines. Such a relationship will be evident through a life that glorifies Jesus (Ps. 105:1-2; Ps. 119:97; Gal. 5:22-26; 2 Peter 1:3).
4. To steward the resources God has given, including time, talents, and treasure (Prov. 3:9-10; Rom. 12:1-2; Eph. 4:1-16; 5:15-18). This includes regular financial giving and service that is sacrificial, cheerful, and voluntary (Rom. 12:1-8; 2 Cor. 8-9; 12:7-31; 1 Peter 4:10-11).
5. To be “devoted to the fellowship” and committed to a Heritage Community Group; participate in weekly worship services, communion and serving (Acts 2:42-47; Heb. 10:23-25; John 13:14).
6. To submit to discipline by God through his Holy Spirit, to follow biblical procedures for church discipline in relationships with brothers and sisters in Christ, to submit to righteous discipline when approached biblically by brothers and sisters in Christ, and to submit to discipline by church leadership if the need should ever arise (Ps. 141:5; Matt. 18:15-17; 1 Cor. 5:1-5; 2 Cor. 2:5-8; Gal. 6:1-5 8; 1 Tim. 5:20; 2 Tim. 2:25; Titus 1:9; 3:10-11; Heb. 12:5-11; Rev. 2:5-7, 14-25).
7. To agree, by God’s grace, to walk in holiness as an act of worship to Jesus Christ, who has saved us from sin that we could live a new life (2 Cor. 5:17); to practice complete chastity before marriage and complete fidelity in heterosexual marriage by abstaining from practices such as cohabitation, pornography, and fornication (Job 31:1; Prov. 5; Rom. 13:12-14; 1 Cor. 6:9-7:16; Heb. 13:4); to refrain from illegal drug use, drunkenness, and other sinful behavior as the Bible, the leaders, and conscience dictate (1 Cor. 8:7; Gal. 5:19-21). Should one sin in such a manner, to agree to confess my sins to Christian brothers or sisters and seek help to put such sin to death (Rom. 8:13; Col. 3:5; 1 John 1:6-10).
8. To get to know, live out and carry the values that we hold to be essential to being a healthy church (see the Heritage Newcomers Manual for our values).
9. We encourage all our leaders to attend all-church events we organize, as these are invaluable times where we grow together in relationships, understanding and love for our Lord.
Heritage Elder commitments to its leaders:
1. Your elders and deacons will meet the criteria assigned to them in the Scriptures (1 Tim. 3:1-13; 5:17-22; Titus 1:5-9; 1 Peter 5:1-4).
2. To seek God’s will for our church community to the best of our ability as we study the Scriptures and follow the Spirit (Acts 20:28; 1 Peter 5:1-5).
3. To care for you and seek your growth as a disciple of Christ, in part by equipping you for service (Eph. 4:11-13) and praying for you regularly, particularly when you are sick (James 5:14).
4. To provide teaching and counsel from the whole of Scripture (Acts 20:27-28; Gal. 6:6; 1 Tim. 5:17-18).
5. To be on guard against false teachers (Acts 20:28-31), prophets, etc.
6. To exercise church discipline when necessary (Matt. 18:15¬20; 1 Cor. 5; Gal. 6:1).
7. To set an example in faith and in life and join you in fulfilling the duties of church leaders (1 Cor. 11:1; Phil. 3:17; 1 Tim. 4:12).
Our prayer is that you will be blessed in your ministry to the Lord. May God equip you and bless you as you serve Him and bring His kingdom to this world.
If you desire to end this agreement, we ask that you do so in a way that is good and healthy and ultimately honors the Lord and His church. The first step to end this agreement is to discuss your intention in person with an elder so that you finish well for you and the church family.
The information contained in this application is correct to the best of my knowledge. I authorize any references or churches listed in this application to give you any information (including opinions) that they may have regarding my character and fitness serving the church. In consideration of the receipt and evaluation of this application by Heritage Christian Fellowship, I hereby release any individual, church, youth organization, charity, employer, reference, or any other person or organization, including record custodians, both collectively, and individually, from any and all liability for damages of whatever kind or nature which may at any time result to me, my heirs, or my family, on account of compliance or any attempts to comply, with this authorization. I waive any rights that I may have to inspect any information provided about me by any person or organization identified by me in this application.
Background Investigation Consent
I hereby authorize Heritage Christian Fellowship and/or its agents to make an independent investigation of my background, references, character, past employment, education, criminal, or police records, including those maintained by both public and private organizations and all public records for the purpose of confirming the information contained on my application and/or obtaining other information, which may be material to my qualifications for employment/ministry now, and if applicable, during the tenure of my employment/ministry with Heritage Christian Fellowship.
I release Heritage Christian Fellowship and/or its agents and any person or entity, which provides information pursuant to this authorization, from any and all liabilities, claims, or lawsuits in regard to the information obtained from any and all of the above referenced sources used.
The following is my true and complete legal name, and all information is true and correct to the best of my knowledge.