3rd, 4th, & 5th GRADEAs you share and study God’s word with your kids, I encourage you ask your children how the feel about the specific passage and how they feel it may or may not pertain to their lives. May 22
PONDER POINT: JESUS IS LIFE
Jesus raises Lazarus from the dead and shows He is the true source of life.
DID YOU KNOW?
Share these facts to get the conversation started.
- In John 11:33 we see that when Jesus arrived on the scene, He was “deeply moved.”
- Through the brief phrase “Jesus wept” in John 11:35, we can grasp the love and respect Jesus has for us. Jesus knows our weaknesses and struggles, and that’s because He has shared them.
- Jesus knew how this would end because He has power over life and death. He knew Lazarus would be reunited with his family. And He knew the glory that would come to the Father.
- This was a necessary preview of His power over death that His friends would need to see as His own death approached.
CONNECT AS A FAMILY
Play a game of hide-and-seek with your children. When you can’t find each other, call, “Come out, come out, wherever you are!” Gather your family and tell them you’re going to read about a time Jesus called His friend to come out. Read John 11:32–44. Discuss how amazing it is that Jesus has power over death, including His own. Pray together and thank God for His power.
After reading the Scripture passage, discuss these questions together:
- Why did Jesus bring Lazarus back to life?
- How would you have responded if you had seen Lazarus raised from the dead?
- Do you think witnessing this event would have changed your life? Why or why not?
These questions can easily extend into the rest of the week. Look for opportunities to bring conversations about how Jesus Is Life into your everyday life as a family.
Have kids work on weekly memory verses. Whoever can recite all of the memory verses when we return to regular Sundays will receive $5 Bible Bucks per verse.
Jesus said to her, “Did I not tell you that if you believed you would see the glory of God?” — John 11:40
A blessing to pray over your child:
(Child’s name), may you know God has power over death. God alone gives life and He gives it to you freely and abundantly, always.
Life, Life, and More Life
Jesus came so that we could have life— eternal and to the full. Invite the children to read John 3:16 with you as you read aloud.
- What is eternal life?
- In what way is this good news for you?
Invite a volunteer to read John 10:10.
- What did Jesus come to bring us?
- How have you seen God bring “life to the full” to you or someone you know?
God’s Great Power
Invite a volunteer to read Jeremiah 10:12–13.
- What do these verses tell you about God’s power?
Invite a volunteer to read Matthew 19:26.
- What does this verse tell you about God’s power?
Invite a volunteer to read 1 Corinthians 15:55–57 out loud.
- How can you praise God for His power over death?